I always thought since being a competitive swimmer for most of my life I would be able to teach my own children to swim. Two years ago Junior would jump off the side of the pool with no coaxing, go under water and be pulled up by me and want to do it over and over again. Over the last two summers he had become more apprehensive about the water being too deep or as he would say "too much". He rarely would want to jump off the side of the pool and only if we were holding his hands and pulling him in. I realized then that I would not be able to teach this one how to swim. So I signed him up for swim lessons with my old high school swim coach and his daughter. They were excellent teachers! I also had a co-worker sign up her son (and Junior's friend) to be in the same class so he would have a friend and help ease the anxiety. He enjoyed every day he had class and did surprisingly well. I thought for sure he would throw a fit and cry if they asked him to do something he didn't want to do. He was 99% fearless. The teachers even had him swimming a few inches in between them while neither of them was holding on to him. That was a major milestone for him. Of course the fear returns anytime we take him to the pool and ask him to do anything that would make him have to let go of us in deep water. I'm sure it will just take some time and we will work with him throughout the year. Nonetheless, we are so proud of how much he did at his lessons!





Awaiting his turn

Holding his breath and going underwater

Kicking race!

Jumping (being tossed in) from the diving board! He loved it!

All done with his lessons!


No comments:
Post a Comment